Saturday, September 27, 2014

List Land #1 : Books That Made Me Cry





Welcome to List Land, a weekly meme hosted by The Accidental Reader. We love lists. Top 10s, Top 20s, you name it, so we decided to host weekly memes of lists  enhanced with a bookish touch.
We hope you enjoy!

I read more than 400 books so far in my life (without the ones I dont remember reading or are not available on the Goodreads database because lets face it only 11 million people read modern Greek literature) but only a few made me cry...like really cry.
These are the 10 books that changed me and had me sobbing like someone close to me died.




A fellow bookseller at Barnes and Noble recommended this to me one day when we were shelving books. Initially, I was a little intimidated by the subject, I thought that maybe the author wont ''catch'' the feelings the way she should and when I started the book I had different expectations from what I found. I loved this book so much, it was filled with antithesis that made the plot even more tragical. I think it will appeal to those who read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.




When I think of this book I want to cry again. I think I would have liked it even more if I read in Greek instead of English due to the fact that German is closer to Greek. The translation was a little off at some points but the emotions were there. Clear and crispy sad. I experienced feelings of pain,sadness, coldness,forgiveness, love and hate, remorse and even loss and grief. It was an emotional roller coaster that left a bitter taste in the end and me a sobbing mess. I am pretty sure I will read this book again at some point.



 
Watched the movie first and then read the book. I kind of cried because the book was written in a great way. It was emotional and as real as any book can be so it hit a nerve. 








 
The ending was a mastery of sadness, remorse and pain all wrapped up in a couple of paragraphs. Someone would say the writing was simple, yet the emotions so strong that left me sobbing like a baby. It was truly amazing.







 
HA, I dont really know what to say about this. I discovered this book by accident when I was strolling at the lobby of the hotel I used to work. Hotels in Greece have a small bookcase with the tag ''Borrow, Read, Repeat'' and I found the Reader. Once I saw that it had to do with Nazi Germany I was hooked (I am really interested in everything WW2). The ending was tragic. It wasnt fair for neither of the main protagonists but the again it was a book that dealt with love and pride and the consequences it can have if you dont stand up for the ones you love. A tear jerker.


 
Well that was one of the first books that I ever read (I think I was at the age of 8) and then I didnt know a lot about WW2. You see in Greek schools they kind of keep it a secret until the 7th grade. This was an intimidating read but I love this book more than any other book out there.





 
That is one of my favorite books, you see the entire plot was so real ,amazingly written and I felt for Logan and Maya since page one. The ending was really sad that I couldnt believe what I was reading. The book took flight really fast after a certain point and all the emotions came rushing.






Do I really need to say anything to this? Let;s just say that halfway through the book I started crying like there was no tomorrow and the packets of tissues finished way too fast. My husband still asked me if I will cry again while watching the movie (I did by the way)







 
Books that deal with grief and moving on after a big loss are a huge tear jerker for me. I read this particular book last year (which was a really good and emotional year for me when it comes to books) and it simply had me whipping. I totally recommend this one.







 
Like I said under Twenty Boy Summer this applies here as well plus the movie was pretty amazing too...maybe a little better than the book.





No comments:

Post a Comment